The Dual AM Degree in Statistics is offered only to students enrolled in a Ph.D. program at Penn. Students pursuing more than one research master’s degree en route to their Ph.D. should note: While some courses can count towards both a PhD and research master’s degree, no courses can count towards three or more degree programs at Penn. Penn Law, Medicine (Professional), Dental, or Vet school students will not be permitted to enroll in the program. The Master’s degree cannot be granted after the PhD is awarded.
The Degree Requirements
(1) Six credit units of 5000 level or 9000 level Statistics Department courses.
(2) Four additional credit units of approved Penn courses with statistical content. These can be StatisticsDepartment courses or courses from other departments.*A minimum grade of B- or better is required for each course.
(3) An approved master’s thesis. The master’s thesis is a research paper that makes substantial use of statistics and is not part of a student’s dissertation (though it can be related to the dissertation work) or material you completed for a course (though it can build on a paper completed for a course). The thesis can be original research or can be a literature review of some area of statistics related to a student’s research. The thesis must be approved by a standing faculty member in the Statistics Department who has agreed to serve as an adviser for the project.
(4) Certification of Doctoral Qualifying Exam
To Apply for the Program:
(1) Complete the Application-to-Dual-Degree-–-Master-of-Arts-in-Statistics-and-Data-Sciences. The form must be signed by your home department faculty chair/coordinator, your home department/school’s graduate dean, and the Academic Director for the Stat Master’s (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Consult with your home department on any policies your program may have regarding external Master’s degree
- Failure to submit the Application to the Dual Degree Form in the early stages of the program may results in your courses not counting towards your degree. **The application must be submitted at least 6 months prior to receiving the STAT AM degree.**
(2) Send complete Application to the Wharton Doctoral Program Office (email@example.com) to obtain a signature from the Vice Dean. You will not be permitted into the program until you receive approval from all listed above.
To Apply for the Degree:
Upon completion of the degree requirements, complete the following forms and email them to Gidget Murray, Director of Wharton Doctoral Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Certification of Doctoral Qualifying Exam
- Certification of Research Paper Acceptable for Master’s Degree
- Final List of Completed Courses for the STAT AM
- Review the Graduate Degree Calendar: https://provost.upenn.edu/graduate-degree-calendar
- Complete online Degree Application: https://fission.sas.upenn.edu/sso/gas/degree/app-start.php
- It is the student’s responsibility to adhere to the degree application deadlines and apply for the degree during the semester in which they will complete all degree requirements.
Please note the following:
- The University does not allow students to triple count courses for multiple degrees (i.e. you cannot count a course toward your Statistics Masters, home department Masters, and home PhD)
- Transfer credits and undergraduate level courses will not count towards the STAT AM