Due to COVID-19, travel restrictions may be put in place with little notice. Award availability is subject to change.
We are pleased to be able offer the George James Term Fund for the Wharton Doctoral Program to assist Wharton Ph.D. students for travel and research. The Wharton Doctoral Programs distributes individual travel awards to defray the cost of qualified travel expenses for graduate students presenting their research at academic conferences and meetings.
- This funding applies to TRAVEL only (e.g. Registration fees, transportation and lodging)
- Funding may not be used for purchase of related books, materials, meals
- Funding will not be granted for transportation or lodging outside of the dates of the conference.
- Proposals for the presentation of student’s own research at conferences will be given priority.
Students who are waiting to hear back on conference presentation acceptances may still apply for the travel awards. Travel awards may be granted contingent on your presentation being accepted.
*First Year students are not eligible for Doctoral Office Travel funding.
**Students may not submit more than one Travel Award request per year (July 1-June 30).
Students will be awarded for amounts up to a MAXIMUM of $500 for Domestic or $750 International travel per trip. Preference is given to students who have not received prior travel awards.
Effective July 1, 2018, students will be limited a total of 2 travel awards over the course of their studies due to the increased volume of travel award applications. If you have received 2 travel awards from the Doctoral Programs Office in the past, you will no longer be eligible to apply for a travel award.
George James Travel Award Application Requirements:
1) Application for Wharton Doctoral Office Travel funding. (Students should submit a brief proposal prior to the term in which they are planning to travel.)
2) An email will be sent to the faculty person from whom you are requesting your travel award recommendation. An application will not be considered complete without the faculty recommendation so please make sure to give sufficient amount of time before the deadline for your faculty to complete the recommendation.
|Conference Travel||Apply By||Decisions Made|
|January 1-March 31||December 10||December 15|
|April 1-June 30||March 15||March 22|
|July 1-September 30||June 15||June 22|
|October 1-December 31||September 15||September 22|
Applications received after the deadline date will not be reviewed. Students will be notified no earlier than the decision dates listed above.
If you are awarded a travel award, please submit receipts for reimbursement after you return from your conference.
All Penn students and faculty are required to use the Penn travel registry to register international travel conducted for Penn business or academics: https://global.upenn.edu/travel-guidance/register-your-trip